Raw Peppermint Slice
I adapted this recipe from Hippie Lane Cook Book and it's now one of my favourites, I make it almost every week. Once you try it you'll understand why!
It's the perfect afternoon sweet treat with a cup of tea or as dessert when your partner or flatmates are reaching for ice-cream, you can reach for your raw peppermint slice - no missing out! and these taste better too!! Plus! you won't feel gross afterwards.
This one is gluten free, dairy free, refined sugar free, vegan, raw, plant-based but not fully OMS as I have used coconut oil and dark chocolate in this one. Please note I do eat a small amount of coconut oil & dark chocolate - my reasons for doing so are in this post : )
crunchy cacao Base
- 1 cup walnuts or pecans (I use whatever I have)
- 90 grams activated buckwheat groats
- 1/2 cup raw cacao powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 6 medjol dates pits removed
- 1/4 cup rice malt syrup
creamy peppermint filling
- 2 cups soaked cashews (soak for at least an hr then drain and rinse)
- 1 tablespoon organic unrefined coconut oil
- 1/2 cup rice malt syrup
- 3-4 teaspoons peppermint extract - sometimes I add a few drops of peppermint essential oil as well or if I havn't got enough extract
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 2/3rds to 1 block of Green & Blacks 85% Dark Chocolate
- 1 tablespoon unrefined preferably organic coconut oil
- Process walnuts or pecans in a food processor till they resemble a crumb then add the buckwheat groats and pulse some more to break them up, add everything else & process till combined. Press into a slice tin lined with baking paper and freeze. I use a 20 x 20cm slice tin. Place in the freezer while you prepare the filling.
- Combine filling ingredients in a high speed blender (I use a nutri-bullet 900W) and blend till super smooth. Pour the peppermint filling over the base and place back in the freezer and freeze over night. If you don't freeze the filling overnight your filling will be soft and not hold it's structure if you try to cut into it.
- To prepare the choc top bring a pot of water to the boil and turn off once its reached boiling, sit a metal bowl in the pot of boiled water. Holding the metal bowl with a tea towl protecting your hand, break the chocolate up and add to the bowl, add coconut oil and stir with a spatula till melted and combined. Be careful not to over heat the chocolate, take it off the heat once its melted and combined.
- Pour the chocolate toping over the top of the peppermint filling, place back in the freezer and freeze for a few hrs till the chocolate has set.
- Once frozen chop into bars or squares and enjoy. Store in the freezer - mine is usually eaten within a week. NOTE: To cut clean slice squares easily heat a large knife under hot water for at least a minute, both sides, then press into the slice to cut your squares. The heat of the knife will melt through the slice making it easier to cut. You may need to re-heat the knife a couple of times to cut it all up.
NOTE: To make 100% OMS you can soak more cashews to combine with cacao and rice malt syrup in a blender for the chocolate topping and leave out the coconut oil in the filling. The filling will maybe be a little harder. You could try adding some xanthem gum to the peppermint filling instead of the coconut oil to soften it and see how that goes - just an idea!