Raw Caramel Slice
Another sweet treat I love to make every now and then - it's a pretty good substitute for real deal too! Gluten free, dairy free, refined sugar free, vegan, raw, plant-based but not fully OMS. Please note I do eat a small amount of coconut oil & dark chocolate - my reasons for doing so are in this post : )
Chocolate crunch base
- 2 cups walnuts
- 1/3 cup raw cacao powder
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 4 medjol dates pits removed
- 1/4 cup rice malt syrup
- 1 heaped cup raw macadamia nuts
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup water
- 8 medjol dates
- 2 tablespoons unrefined organic extra virgin coconut oil
- 2/3rds to 1 block of green & blacks 85% dark chocolate
- 1 tablespoon unrefined extra virgin coconut oil
- Process walnuts in a food processor till they resemble a crumb then add the cacao powder and vanilla extract and pulse some more, add everything else & process till combined. Press into a slice tin lined with baking paper and place in the freezer.
- Combine filling ingredients in a high speed blender (I use a nutri-bullet 900W) and blend till smooth. Stopping and scrape the sides down a few times. Spatula the caramel filling over the base and place back in the freezer for a day or preferably over night.
- Bring a pot of water to the boil and turn off once it's reached boiling, sit a metal bowl in the pot of boiled water. Holding the metal bowl with a tea towl protecting your hand, break the chocolate up and add to the bowl, add coconut oil and stir till all melted and combined. Be careful not to over heat the chocolate, take it off the heat once its melted and combined.
- Pour the chocolate toping over the top of the caramel filling, place back in the freezer and freeze for a few hrs till the chocolate has set.
- Once frozen chop into bars or squares and enjoy. Store in the freezer - mine usually doesn't last longer than a week!