Raw Peppermint Slice
I adapted this from Hippie Lane cook book and it's now one of my favourites, I make it almost every week. It's the perfect afternoon sweet treat with a cup of tea. Or as dessert when your partner or flatmates are reaching for ice-cream, you can reach for your raw peppermint slice - no missing out! and these taste better too!! Plus! you won't feel gross afterwards.
Gluten free, dairy free, refined sugar free, vegan, raw, plant-based but not fully OMS. Please note I do eat a small amount of coconut oil & dark chocolate - my reasons for doing so are in this post : )
crunchy cacao Base
- 1 cup walnuts or pecans (I use whatever I have)
- 90 grams activated buckwheat groats
- 1/2 cup raw cacao powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 6 medjol dates pits removed
- 1/4 cup rice malt syrup
creamy peppermint filling
- 2 cups soaked cashews (soak for at least an hr drain and rinse)
- 1 tablespoon organic unrefined coconut oil
- 1/2 cup rice malt syrup
- 3-4 teaspoons peppermint extract - sometimes I add a few drops of peppermint essential oil as well or if I havn't got enough extract
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 2/3rds to 1 block of green & blacks 85% dark chocolate
- 1 tablespoon unrefined coconut oil
- Process walnuts/pecans in a food processor till they resemble a crumb then add the buckwheat groats and pulse some more, add everything else & process till combined. Press into a slice tin lined with baking paper and freeze.
- Combine filling ingredients in a high speed blender (I use a nutri-bullet 900W) and blend till smooth. Pour over the base and place back in the freezer for a day or preferably over night.
- Bring a pot of water to the boil and turn off once its reached boil, sit a metal bowl in the pot of boiled water. Holding the metal bowl with a tea towl protecting your hand, break the chocolate up and add to the bowl, add coconut oil and stir till melted and combined. Be careful not to over heat the chocolate, take it off the heat once its melted and combined.
- Pour the chocolate toping over the top of the peppermint filling, place back in the freezer and freeze for a few hrs till the chocolate has set.
- Once frozen chop into bars or squares and enjoy. Store in the freezer - mine is usually eaten within a week.
NOTE: To make 100% OMS you can soak more cashews to combine with cacao and rice malt syrup in a blender for the chocolate topping and leave out the coconut oil in the filling. The filling will maybe be a little harder. You could try adding some xanthem gum to the peppermint filling instead of the coconut oil to soften it.